The White Bear
Wheelock Street
Middlewich, Cheshire
CW10 9AG
01606 837666
Header Center
Bodymain Right

About Us

The white bear was built around 1625 and was one of the main coaching Inns for the salt town of Middlewich which is also known for its extensive canal network.

The pub takes its name from the popular pastime of bear baiting in the area and the last bear associated with the pub was called Nell.

Middlewich also had a pub called the Black bear and it was rumoured that the 2 bears would meet in the Bull ring with wagers taken on which one would win.

In more recent times the pub was a Wilson’s brewery pub which brewed beer from 1834. The brewery was at Newton Heath in Manchester and merged with Websters brewery in 1985 before closing in 1987.

In the 1990’s and for the next twenty years the pub was run on a lease through a pub co before The white bear finally shut its doors seemingly for the last time in Jan 2010.

The building had gradually fallen into such a bad state of repair that it looked likely to never be opened as a pub again and seemed to have gone the way of so many pubs hit hard by the economic downturn and introduction of the smoking ban.

In June 2011 the pub was purchased by the Milestone pub company owned by industry veteran Paul Cochran and business partner John Blaney and work started on the refurbishment shortly afterwards.

The pub was totally gutted over the next 6 months before the new White bear was opened at the end of November 2011.

A function room was completed in 2012 to provide a venue for family parties, christenings, works events and live music.

Since opening the pub has won an award for its coffee, has been CAMRA pub of the season and in 2013 was awarded small business of the year for Middlewich which was presented to Paul Cochran at the Mayors annual awards dinner.

The pub has had over 150 different real ales on since opening and has once more become a vital part of the community in Middlewich

Read More About The History of the White Bear